DISCLAIMER

Robin Andersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

"Craft" and carving your own crochet hook

If you see this magazine* in the store, you may think it's a bit pricey. I would suggest that you use one of the 40% coupons that a lot of craft stores advertise if you feel it's a bit too high. It really is not expensive for the amount of projects you get in each issue. It has almost every craft you can think of and if it's not there, it probably was in the last issue or will be in the next issue. Similar to a 50s/60s craft magazine (I bought a few on a whim) "Craft" presumes that you wouldn't only want to work a needlepoint pillow, but you'd want to do copper etching or glass blowing or perhaps make new bookshelves. Apparently in the 1950s, people had more time and energy to devote to crafts - probably because cable tv and the internet hadn't been invented yet;)

So what's that got to do with crochet? On the cover is a "crime scene" knitted scarf. Somebody who is clever with their hook and wants a crime scene scarf can probably easily figure out how to do it in crochet (and sell the pattern, too). But I promised how to hand carve a crochet hook, didn't I? Turn to page 130. There's an article by Jim Price on how to make a hand carved crochet hook. And who is Jim Price - here's his blog: jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com

now you see what I mean. I have never carved a hook, but I do have a hook one of my younger son's friends** carved for me. It is massive and really too big for my hand and I have often thought of making some changes to it but I wasn't quite sure how to go about it. I've never used it for a project because it's so big. Reading this article gave me some tips on how to approach that project. And If I chicken out of carving the hook, well I can always buy one carved by Jim Price at his blog.

Think about creating your own custom hook. It could have a thumb rest (which I like) or not have a thumb rest. You could make the throat as shallow or as deep as you could want. Plus you could experiment with various combinations and sizes. If you ever wondered how to create a hook that would be uniquely yours, I suggest strongly that you check out this magazine. It is much cheaper if you subscribe - here's their info craftzine.com/subscribe .

There's a lot more articles in this issue I want to explore. There's the sourdough bread baking as well as the crochet cocktail ring. I have had a lot of success with yeast breads, but my sourdough bread has never been successful and a look at the recipe given might have a clue for me. Every other recipe I tried called for using yeast as well as the sourdough starter. There's tessalations as well as a stained glass grocery cart. (wouldn't that be cool to take to the yarn shop?P That almost makes want to go grocery shopping. It's just a great read and a great thought provoker.

*"Craft: Transforming Traditional Crafts", Volume 04, newstand price $14.99 US, $17.99 Canadian.
I did not receive any kickbacks from any of these folks, but I can be bought. If I am ever bought, I will definitely declare it so you will know I'm shilling for a product. I hope you check out this magazine, it is _cool_

(I wonder what happened to Ben? His family moved away quite some time ago. He definitely should be working in fashion designs, he could do amazing knitting and crocheting.)


Payton update: He is doing okay and there was a recent fundraiser for him. Here's that link:
http://www.rockyou.com/show_my_gallery.php?source=ppsl&instanceid=78760672

No comments: