DISCLAIMER

Robin Andersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Crochet Fantasy Winter 2005, a review

First off, let me tell you I have been a long time subscriber to "Crochet Fantasy". I do not get a kickback in any way, shap or form from "Crochet Fantasy", so whatever I say is not influenced by any outside forces.

I was a little apprehensive when "Crochet Fantasy" was purchased by another publishing company. Than the winter 2005 issue arrived late, with an apology enclosed. Apparently the people who would normally get their items printed in the Hurricaine Katrina path switched to using other printers. The printers tried to squeeze in as much as they could and as a result, the winter issue of "Crochet Fantasy" was late. I have to be honest and say I didn't know it was late, but I was still opening Christmas cards on New Year's Day.

I like the new layout of the magazine. The photograph of the project is where the beginning of the instructions are, whic makes it very handy for me - I can't remember the various names of the projects and I can see at a glance if I have what I need in my stash. They even have (*gasp*) a few plus size models, which I think is great. Not everybody who crochets a garment is a petite person. The artices seem to be more indepth than they were previously. Perhaps that's just me.

One thing I had been turning over in my mind was the illusion knitting and how would that transfer to crochet. I couldn't quite figure it out how it could work, but this issue gives 2 examples of illusion crochet - enough to get me started and help me see possibly plan another project.

There is an article by Elizabeth Kurr about Judith Copeland and modular crochet. This is a fascinating article as it makes designing a garment so much easier than taking all the measurements and calculating the pattern so everything turns out correctly. There's an example of a funnel neck sweater to show you how to put the modular crochet instructions into a project.

The "Whole World Coat" is a great project by one of my favorit designers, Carol Ventura. I find her work so intricate but as the pattern is broken down to sumplify the process. I like the way it looks and I think it will become a "work in mind".

There's a lot of other good stuff in this new issue of "Crochet Fantasy" - crochet snowflakes, an article about shawl ministries as well as an article about Noreen Crane-Findlay. There's even a pattern from M's Crane-Findlay featuring one of her adorable dolls.

If you haven't checked out "Crochet Fantasy" lately, it's time for you to take a peek again. I am happy to see it alive and kicking. I also think there's enough room for several more crochet magazines - ever check out how many quilting magazines are on the newstand? More magazines and more patterns mean more fun for crocheters:)


No comments: