DISCLAIMER

Robin Andersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Goodbye, Crochet Fantasy

Long before the DYI network or "Knitty Gritty" or "Uncommon Threads", there was "Crochet Fantasy". The magazine flourished in a period that saw some great magazines - the extended "Annie's Attic" line, the McCall's "Needlework and Crafts", later "McCall's Crochet", all sorts of one offs from various companies. Sometimes the patterns weren't as good as they could be, but that's true of any magazine (or anything else, for that matter). I stuck with them, even when I wasn't crocheting that much. I went through a lean financial time where I dropped the subscription, but as soon as I could, I resubscribed. I didn't care if all the patterns weren't "perfect" for me at the time, I just knew "Crochet Fantasy" fed my crocheting soul.
But now it is no more. I called the 800 number provided on their website and spoke to a pleasant young woman who informed me "We made the decision to close a few weeks ago". She told me of some problems they had with printing companies "after the hurricaine" (I presume Katrina) and basically said it just didn't come together. At this time, she did not know what they intended to do for the remaining subscribers. Generally, closing magazines will fill out the subscription with one of their other magazines. I'm sure their knitting magazine is good for knitters, but not being a knitter, I don't think I would want it.
But I just want to say publicly, I'm sorry to see it go and am sorry they couldn't make a go of it. It seems with crocheting being more popular, "Crochet Fantasy" should have enjoyed a renaissance of sorts. Hopefully the designers that were left hanging (and I'm sure there were a few) will be able to extradite themselves from the ruins and continue their career elsewhere.
I know there are a lot of other great crochet magazines, online as well as in print. I won't name them as I'm sure I'll forget one magazine (or more) and hear "Hey, you forgot 'Robin's Really Cool Crochet'* and I'm ticked about that". But during the long dark days that nobody seemed to be talking about crochet, "Crochet Fantasy" came thru and I'd like to say thanks to everybody who was involved in the production of the magazine. Good luck wherever you go.

*not a real magazine;)





No comments: