DISCLAIMER

Robin Andersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Knitty Gritty and Hairpin Lace

I do not receive a kickback* from "Knitty Gritty", Jennifer Hansen (or "Stitch Diva") or Ed Jenkins. I just want to share what I thought was a great show on hairpin lace.

Last Friday (April 6) on "Knitty Gritty", Jennifer Hansen from "Stitch Diva" was on the show to give a tutorial about hairpin lace. Vickie Howell, the host, kept referring to hairpin lace as a knitting technique, but M's Hansen told her it was a _crochet_ technique. (woo hoo!) If you ever wondered about how to create hairpin lace or even what you would do with it, I suggest checking out that particular "Knitty Gritty" (if you can). M's Hansen gave clear, concise instructions and showed how to combine hairpin lace and knitting. It was if your friend stopped by and showed you how to do a new skill. But the hat she created could be adapted to a crochet hat.
M's Hansen gave a tip I thought was _very_ helpful - okay, to me it was. She said when you are making hairpin lace, always make it longer than you think you will need. That way, when you match up the two (or three) pieces to crochet together, you will always be able to match the stitches precisely. Whatever hairpin lace you don't need can be eaily unraveled.
I was really impressed with the way she demonstrated the technique. And the hairpin lace tool she used was just _gorgeous_. I have an ancient Boye hairpin lace pin. It does the job, it's practical and it's probably older than I am, but I was quite impressed with the Ed Jenkins beautiful hairpin lace tool.
I'm including the link to the tutorial on the "Stitch Diva" site:
http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=73

I'm thinking of maybe a shawl using hairpin lace....

*but if they offered me a kickback, I would take it.








No comments: